On September 1, 2022, the National Builder’s Corps (NaBCo) program, the government’s flagship initiative, will terminate.
During his presentation of the 2022 Mid-Year Budget Review speech on Monday, July 25, Finance Minister Ken Ofori-Atta confirmed this.
According to him, NABCO’s four-year operation, which saw it help 100,000 recent graduates, would finish at the end of August.
Ken Ofori-Atta said that the government is convinced that beneficiaries are now adequately prepared for the job market after disclosing that over the period, over GHS2.2 billion has been invested.
“Mr. Speaker, our iconic National Builder’s Corps (NaBCo) programme, which was initially to run for three years and extended for an additional year, will be completed by 1st September 2022. The programme which engaged a 100,000 young graduates has prepared thousands of them for the world of work. So far we have invested approximately GH¢2.2 billion,” the Finance Minister told Parliament.
“As students exit the program, the present cohort is urged to utilize the YouStart initiative and other existing programs in our effort to develop an entrepreneurial nation,” Ken Ofori-Atta stated.
The finance minister also reaffirmed that the government’s aim is to help innovative young business owners by providing them with the resources and skills they need to grow their enterprises and contribute significantly to the supply of jobs for other young people.
Unfortunately, Ken Ofori-Atta gave no information on when the NABCO employees’ salary arrears, which go back several months, will be reimbursed.