NUGS petition Parliament over capping GETfund

Spread the love

In opposition to proposals to cap the Ghana Education Trust Fund (GETFund), the National Union of Ghana Students (NUGS) has submitted a petition to Parliament.

Before submitting the petition to the House’s Education Committee, the petitioners—led by NUGS President Mr. Dennis Appiah Larbi Ampofo protested with signs in front of the ceremonial entrance to Parliament.

Mr. Ampofo urged Parliament to raise the GETFund cap so that more money could be allocated for education. He also mentioned the recent decline in financing for the education sector.

The Chairman of the Education Committee, Hon. Kwabena Amankwa Asiamah, and the Ranking Member, Hon. Peter Nortsu-Kotoe, accepted the petition and gave the petitioners their word that the committee would do everything in its power to ensure that the funds are used for education in the nation and that all necessary measures would be taken to ensure that the GETfund is uncapped.

The union was joined by Civil Society Groups, led by the Africa Education Watch. The NUGS requests that this year’s use of the GETFUND formula be discontinued by the Ministry of Finance “which will see only 39% of GETFUND levy allocated to the fund with the remaining 61% diverted into other areas.”

With the primary objective of defending the interests of all Ghanaian students, both at home and abroad, NUGS is a democratic, non-partisan, and progressive mass organization of students, both in Ghana and abroad.

The organization is dedicated to promoting the instillation of a strong sense of nationalism and patriotism in students in order to effectively prepare them for the future of our nation.


About admin

Check Also

Convict those responsible for the 2020 election-related murders – NDC to Akufo-Addo

Spread the love The National Democratic Congress (NDC) has urged President Akufo-Addo to allay his …

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *